Thursday, August 1, 2013

Minmum wage: Fast Food Strike

Last week I went over alittle about the cost of living however, over the past few days this has been brought to the media forefront.

On Monday, July 29, 2013, Fast food workers walk out across the country. These employees are calling for a $15 per hour wage.  They chanted "we can't survive on $7.25" and "hey hey, ho ho, poverty wage has got to go."

fast food



While listening to Rush Limba on my drive home from work, he discussed his opinions on the matter. He feels there should be NO miminum wage, the wage should be driven by the market.  This gives an intersting thought on the matter.  He asked "who normally works in fast food? High School and College kids." I know that this is NOT the case world wide, however it is quite true for where I live.  I think about when I made mimimum wage. It was awesome, I had a job!  However when trying to support a family that is not really the case.  Rush goes on to explain that if the market leads it then the workers need to go with it.  If you need more money, you get a second job, you work 60 hours a week.  You make the sacrafiaces necessary to make it happen.

On Dave Ramsey's radio show, he often talks about the debt to income ratio.  He says "your shovel needs to get bigger" and other catch phrases like that.  I fully agree, however should one have to scrimp and save so much?

An interesting story released by KTTC "Defining a living wage in Minnesota" Links to a living wage calculator  I looked into Utah it stats that a family of 4, like mine would need a living wage of $18.54, with minimum wage at $7.25, if my husband and I both worked minimum wage we would still be $4.04 per hour short.

Last night my husband I discussed this topic.  We started thinking about our employees, along with their wages, along with our own on to how we can get to our goal of financial freedom.  He stated he had heard about the following report.
The Wall Street Journal released a report on July 25, 2013. "Put McDonald's CEO Don Thompson on the McBudget" McDonald's CEO: Try living on McBudget of $25,000"  CEO  Don Thompson was so how how he could live on the $25,0000 wage. He gives many money saving tips like borrowing books and movies from the library along with walking or riding a bike to work."  "One of its best suggestions is that employees find a second job. With his credentials, Mr. Thompson could easily land additional work at Popeyes or Taco Bell. This would diversify his diet, too."

As Chris and I discussed this last night, we couldn't help but laugh at that even though the CEO says you can live on minimum wage it is expected that they have a second job.
What do you think? 

No comments:

Post a Comment