Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Frugal!

I mentioned yesterday about feeling alittle overwhlemed by a lack of funds.  I tried to change my feelings and am feeling MUCH better.  I know that good things come to those who wait.
As I have continued to read my "The Millionaire Next Door" I have loved learning all of the things it has to offer, which I would like to focus on today. The first chapter of the book is called "frugal, frugal, frugal"
I have always felt that I have lived a pretty frugal lifestyle, however the more I read, the less I feel that way.
I love to read blogs, and by doing so I get some great ideas.  I love to fix up my house, and with it not being 100% what I want, little fixes make it much more fun.
Here are a few things I do to keep my life alittle more frugal.  Therefor helping the budget.

1. Cloth Diaper
Ewan First Year-173.jpg
This is My little Ewan in his first cloth diaper
NO this is not for everyone.  When I first started, I honestly totally bought into the fad.  It is a new thing, and I wanted to try it out.  I was totally inspired but this amazing girl who cloth diapered her TWINS! However now that I have my little man, I would do it all over again.  He has VERY sensitive skin and I hate it when I do have to put him in disposables, because his little bum goes scarlet! I chose to use bum genius elemental diapers along with a few flips and g diapers.  Now that my boy is almost 1 it is a lot of work, however it REALLY does save me money.  (A side note, we only pay for water with our HOA therefore it doesn't matter how much I use, so that has not become a cost for me.)

2. Laundry Detergent
Yes, once again a Fad!  I blame it on Pinterest! although now that I do it, I will most likely never go back. 

This is what I used for my first batch.
1 cup Borax
1 cup Super Washing Soda (NOT baking soda)
1 bar Ivory soap

After using it for a while, I missed the sent so I bought some purex Crystals and I use about 1/2 cup to the batch.


I also made another batch which I omited the Ivory soap and used oxi clean in its place.
1 cup Borax
1 cup Super Washing Soda
1 cup Oxi Clean


I did this type for diapers.  The soap is bad for the diapers so the oxi works much better. I also already use oxi on my diapers once a week so adding it to the detergent is great!

Yes, once again a Fad!  I blame it on Pintrist! although now that I do it, I will most likely never go back.
I do have a tried a true love for Method deterget,

and use it from time to time especially for my diapers, and it is highly concentrated so it is less expensive for me then regular tide or whatever you choose to use.  I love using my wonderful good smelling stuff.

3. Household cleaning
Vinigar as fabric softener
Olive Oil as Pledge
 Lavender Oil as benadryl cream

4. Cooking at home
  - making home lunches
  -  Coffee from home

5.  Making our own entertainment!

No comments:

Post a Comment