Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Budget Blunders

This weekend we finished our PATIO!! I will share that on Friday, however I am very bad at getting excited and thinking I get to spend money.

Buyers remorse!
Why do we do this?

It all comes from psychology.  We have also been conditioned to Want it and Want it NOW!
We all have this feeling... some of it may be stemmed from a child not being able to buy the toy you wanted, or a treat of some kind.

I remember when I was 19 just after I was married, I went to the grocery store, and walked it.  I saw lots of things all around, I walked through the produce, meat, and grains got what I needed just like normal.  However my mind was racing, I realized I could buy ANYTHING i wanted.  I didn't have to ask anyone, or justify why.  It was an ODD feeling of freedom.

Obviously this didn't last long.  Our first Easter Chris had just been laid off and I was working a new job.  Holidays were a BIG deal, but I knew we only had $10 in the bank.  That was IT.  So I went to Big lots, got a fries container for a basket.





It was 50 cents so I knew I could buy it and spend the other $9 + on Easter stuff. 
It is so much easier to spend money on others then on myself, for ME at least.  I never really bat an eye if my son wants a $10 toy or my husband wants a new phone.  Even though I watch money I watch what I spend on me, and not so much on others.  How do we fix this?


Lifehacker had an inserting article today "How to Trick your Brain Into Banishing Bad Money Habits"
It discusses how we have our brains conditioned to wanting things.  It is up to ourselves to change our Mantra to stop spending.

No comments:

Post a Comment