Monday, July 29, 2013

Boquet of newly-sharpened pencils

 "Don't you love New York in the fall? It makes me want to buy school supplies. I would send you a bouquet of newly-sharpened pencils if I knew your name and address." (You've Got Mail) 



I LOVE back to school!  I love it!! I love walking into the stores and seeing rows of notebooks, crayons, paper, etc.  I LOVE school supplies! 
I was never really the "I CANT WAIT FOR SCHOOL TO START" kid, but boy I LOVED shopping for school supplies (ok that should be love).


Well the problem is that back to school is one of the MOST expensive times of the year, second to Christmas. 
We all have to have the "new backpack" all the new supplies and not to mention the CLOTHES!


Be prepared to be nickel and dimed

None of us want to live this way, however we are often caught up in the hype of back to school.

Tips for saving your budget!
1. PLAN: remember just like christmas, we know school starts, every year in the fall.

2. NECESSITIES: You don't have to be just like everyone else.  I know for me that outfit you wore the first day of school could make or break you.  However by day 2-5 no one even cares.  So get a few new things, but a new wardrobe is NOT necessary.

3. SALES (don't buy into marketing techniques):  There are some amazing back to school sales.
Crayons for $.45 rather then retail $3.50
Notebooks for $.10 rather then retail $5.00
The list goes on and on... HOWEVER don't forget to look at everything. Most of these stores have lined the end caps with items marked UP then on "SALE" to get you to buy more.  Make a list of exactly what you need and stick to your list!

4. Budget for the Unexpected: There will be times when more specialized items your child will need for school, don't let these catch you off guard. 

No comments:

Post a Comment