Monday, July 15, 2013

Being financial secure before getting married?

We have all heard the phrase we are waiting until we can afford it to get married. This is my view on that!


I was married at the RIPE OLD AGE of 18. My then boyfriend (now husband) and I combined our finances the summer before we were married. I was given $200 a month other then my rent. My honey made about $1,000 a month. We were living the High Life, we just didn't know it yet.

Income : 1,200
500: rent (his apt)
100: power/gas
60: Internet
20: Cell Phone
100: Car Insurance
Leaving us with $420 each month for everything else.  Not too shabby for a couple staring out. 

Then my sweet boyfriend proposed.
Only You® Diamond Bridal Set in White Gold, 3/8 ct.wt.
YES this is my BEAUTIFUL and AMAZING Ring (however my honey made it personalized by changing the round stone to a princess cut on point!)

We started looking into a lot of different things.  Money started to feel a little more real. My honey didn't have insurance with his part time job, so he starting looking for jobs.  He got a government job and got benefits.

My daddy was amazing and gave me my dream wedding.  We planned and planned and planned, we were engaged for a year which gave us lots of time to plan. 

Then... we got MARRIED!!! YEAH!!!

Everything was perfect.   I got a part time job, working at Subway (the second real job I'd ever had)
THEN!!!
About a month after we got married my husband lost his job, on the SAME day I found I got a government job.  However mine didn't have benefits. 

Our income went from 
Me:  500
Hubby: 1300
$1800
to
Me: 800
Hubby: 0
$800
in ONE DAY

Should we have waited? 

No comments:

Post a Comment