Tuesday, December 17, 2013

How to pick what for who?

Trying to decide who to buy for and who not to buy for is a CHALLENGE!! I don't care who you are but it is DIFFICULT!!
Over the past few years we have been able to get together with our siblings to agree to buy for the kids and NOT for the adults.  We have also worked to lower the amount of things we buy for friends and neighbors.  We will get a few small gifts for close friends. 
There are many blogs out there that work on how to limit the gifts for your children.  I have to say, that is something I really SHOULD look into.  I feel it will be alot less stressful,... HOWEVER I don't know if I could really do it.

2009-12-4gifts.jpg
We normally don't get our kids much for their birthdays, and other then christmas we try not to buy them much of anything.  Mom and dad get the kids clothes for christmas so that Santa can focus on the FUN stuff! but here is an idea.
My sweet sister texted me this link this morning and I SWEAR this is TRULY how a baby/toddler feels about christmas! READ THIS!!!(it will make you SMILE!) http://theuglyvolvo.com/2013/12/10/a-ten-month-olds-letter-to-santa/

One idea that worked well for me this year is, I normally try to get something fun and thoughtful for my employees at work. However I have 20 of them, and Chris has 40.  That makes for ALOT of little presents.  So I decided at my work christmas party (only 13 total people were there).  However they were the ones that took time out to be there.  I picked up the tab.  I hadn't really planed on doing it, however it was MUCH less stressful and difficult then trying to find a Simple in expensive meaningful gift.  (I asked hubby before I did, that is ALWAYS a good idea.) but it was less expensive then what I would have spent for the whole office, and I was happy I did it. It was low key, and I loved the feeling I had after.  It was the true feeling of christmas to me. Giving to those who you care about.  Chris is working with his supervisory staff to make soemthing fun for his employees and I look forward to seeing what they decide.


I love this idea that I took from Yahoo Voices
Gifts to People Other Than Family
Limit the gifts you give to people other than immediate family. You might suggest that you and your friends meet for a nice holiday luncheon rather than exchange gifts this year.
An evening of Caroling with your friends is another great idea. Spending time together over the holidays may mean more to all of you than a gift would mean.
There are always people on our shopping list that we feel obligated to give a gift to, such as teachers, the postman, and other people who provide a service for us through out the year. Instead of buying a gift for each of these people considering doing one of the following:
Make a big batch of cookies, muffins, or candy, and divide that up as gifts to these kind of people on your list. Many times you can give a food gift for a dollar or two per person thus saving a good deal of money for these kinds of gifts.
Other homemade gifts such as jams, jellies, and homemade ornaments are often appreciated when they come from the heart and are cheaper than buying something that the receiver may not even use.
Instead of buying separate gifts for coworkers why not bring in a big plate of cookies and present them to everyone. This will not only save money but will brighten a normal work day for everyone and help all to get in the holiday spirit.
I think that is a great way to lower the expectations of things people really don't want. 
 
Also I want to close with the idea of Rather then spending MONEY spend TIME.  Make time for those who are important to you, and that Will make a difference. 


No comments:

Post a Comment