Monday, December 9, 2013

Back in Action!

As my last semester of college is coming to a close, I have felt quite overwhelmed.  So, this blog fell to the wayside.  No not proud of it, but I am back and IN ACTION!! :)

I have been reading listening to a few books.  Here is a slight review of the ones I have listened to so far.

Rich Dad, Poor Dad:  Robert Kiyosaki: I started reading this book prob about a year ago, for a book report for one of my classes, needless to say, I wrote a paper about it, however after talking with a coworker who loves the author, I learned I needed to read it again.  I listened to all 6 disks in just over a week.  I have to say he got me motivated.  He made me want to go out and get rental property, get my money working for me, etc.  However after thinking about it while reading it and the days that followed, it got me motivated, but it also made me realize that I am the poor dad, and I am ok with that.  I know that we should all push for more, but I would like to be self sufficient, however I want it in my way.

I knew that Chris would love it, so after I finished it, I put it in his car and he has been listening to it.  I knew that it would get him fired up and on board with investing and making our money work hard.  I am one that can listen to it, and love it, but when it comes to that type of action, it isnt exactly my cup of tea.  I like the numbers not the research behind it.  So hopefully as a team we will get it together.

The money class: Suze Orman:  I will admit, I have bought into societies opinions of this author. I have heard some very negative things about her, and I let that be my opinion.  A little while back my mother gave me a copy of her book The 9 Steps Financial Freedom. I let it sit on my book shelf then on my night stand for a long time.  I would say at least 1-2 years.  However after going through financial HELL, it was time to give her a chance.  I read the first 2-3 chapters of the book, and just couldn't get into it. There are some books I love to read, however i'm easily distracted, so books on tape are MUCH better for me.  I am on disk 3 of 4 right now, and I have to say that she has some very good ideas.  One of them is to create your own "truth" I liked that part.  I will admit that she tells you to write down alot of things, however when I am listening in the car, I don't do this, and I dont think that I ever will, however it is a good plain.

I am glad that I have given her a second chance to make my own opinion of her.  However, I'm still not a follower.  She has good ideas, and some good info, however she tells you alot about what you should do with money, NOT how to use your money.

Between these 2 books, I would have to say that I liked Rich Dad, Poor Dad better, in my opinion. However I plan to continue to find money books at the library and learn as much as I can.

I do still have to say out of all of the financial advisers that I have listened to SO FAR, Dave Ramsey is still my favorite.  He not only has a what, he has a how.  And as he says, "it isn't complicated but it is difficult."

No comments:

Post a Comment